International Diploma of Yoga Teaching (460hrs)
Total Hours: 460
10 study weekends + 6-day residential
This International Diploma course is an integration of yoga's classical teachings based on the various yoga paths and traditions of yoga. The International Yoga Teachers Association does not have a guru, or owner. It embraces many traditions acknowledging that 'many paths lead us up the mountain'. This inclusive approach creates a solid and stable foundation for student teachers to develop their own style of expression and teaching of yoga.
Graduates of this course are respected and acknowledged as some of the best yoga teachers around the world. IYTA teachers can be relied upon to deliver a well structured yoga class with strict adherence to safety and respect for students - whether beginners or advanced.
This course covers 460 hours of training which include the following units of study:
- Anatomy and Physiology – body systems, corrections, sequencing and safety
- The Subtle Physiology of Yoga – subtle energy systems, chakras, energy flow, Prana, the breath
- Philosophy, Ethics and Lifestyle – history and traditions and applying yoga principles in everyday life
- Techniques – interactive sessions including study of postures, meditation, breathing techniques, movement, limbering, mudras and mantras
- Teaching Methodology – principles of effective teaching, how to prepare, design and present a balanced yoga class
- Integrative Practice and Teaching Practicum – how to deliver a well-structured, safe, flowing yoga class
- Yoga Business – what is required as a registered yoga teacher and what is required to set up and run a yoga business
- Specialties – pre and post natal, seniors, back care, children.
- Personal homework (yoga classes and reading) related to the course.
- Journalling and class observations
Lecture notes and assignments are provided electronically. Two printed texts are posted to each participating student these include:
- Course Guidelines
- IYTA Asana Handbook
Lectures are recorded for correspondence students and provided online. All Sydney students who attend the study weekends also receive access to the videos.
The IYTA International Diploma of Yoga Teaching is 460 hours of training over a 12-month period with attendance at one study weekend per month (February to November, 8.30am – 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday) in Crows Nest, Sydney. Alternatively, study may be undertaken by correspondence. A six-day Residential is mandatory for all students.
The Curriculum and Faculty
The Curriculum is based on the classical teachings of Hatha Yoga. The International Yoga Teachers Association has one of the most experienced yoga faculties in the world, with 20 experienced lecturers. IYTA lecturers are chosen based on their experience as Yoga teachers (with Diploma and post graduate qualifications) as well as expertise in their respective yoga subject area.
IYTA lecturers are not just good yoga teachers, they are great lecturers. Their yoga training draws from a broad range of lineages including: Dru, Iyengar, Satyananda, Vinyasa, Yin, Oki-Do, Bikram, Ryoho and Yoga Therapy. Many have additional qualifications in Physiotherapy, Counselling, Adult Education, Psychology, Law, Nursing, Midwifery, K-12 Teaching, Arts, Engineering and as well as university or TAFE lecturing.
Every unit of the International Diploma of Yoga Teaching is structured with clear learning outcomes and these learning outcomes are tested with an assessment for each category of the curriculum. Assessments are marked with very high standards, expectations for referencing and research clearly demonstrated. The practical assessment is an opportunity to prove to the IYTA Faculty that students are truly ready to teach. A high standard is expected as would be warranted with this world-class Diploma.
As a Graduate you will:
- receive an International Diploma of Yoga Teaching and we'll send you a certificate to display;
- be respected and acknowledged as one of the best trained yoga teachers, anywhere in the world;
- be able to design and deliver safe, well structured yoga classes - in any environment - as a relief or regular Yoga Teacher;
- qualify as a Full Teaching Member of the International Yoga Teachers Association;
- with Full Membership, be recognised with Australian Health Funds so your yoga students can claim their classes on their health fund plan (where applicable).
- with Full Membership, will be listed under "Find a Teacher" on the IYTA Website and can have your own web page - hosted on IYTA for free!
- with Full Membership, have access to minimum of 10% off further training with IYTA, FREE monthly CPD video access, Insurance discount (see membership benefits for full list of benefits).
Next Intake: 2019
- February 2 & 3
- March 2 & 3
- April 6 & 7
- May 4 & 5
- May Residential 16 - 21
- June 15 & 16
- July 27 & 28
- August 24 & 25
- September 21 & 21
- October 26 & 27
- November 23 & 24
Teacher Training Graduate Feedback:
Anna Priebe - USA
What others say:
Studying the IYTA Diploma of Yoga Teacher Training was an amazing experience that reinforced my practice and deepened my knowledge and understanding of yoga. It taught me not only yoga poses, anatomy and physiology; but the philosophy of yoga and this part was specially life changing. I am now a Qualified Yoga Teacher and have the honour and joy to teach my students yoga poses and all the life’s tools I have learnt. The IYTA Diploma of Yoga Teacher Training is great if you want to be a Yoga Teacher; or to improve and reinforce your personal yoga practise; or for your personal development or for all the above!